The impact of clinical systems on outcomes and efficiencies
• Review the Resources and reflect on the impact of clinical systems on outcomes and efficiencies within the context of nursing practice and healthcare delivery.
• Conduct a search for recent (within the last 5 years) research focused on the application of clinical systems. The research should provide evidence to support the use of one type of clinical system to improve outcomes and/or efficiencies, such as “the use of personal health records or portals to support patients newly diagnosed with diabetes.”
• Identify and select 4 peer-reviewed research articles from your research.
• For information about annotated bibliographies, visit https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/assignments/annotatedbibliographiesLinks to an external site.
The Assignment: (4-5 pages not including the title and reference page)
In a 4- to 5-page paper, synthesize the peer-reviewed research you reviewed. Format your Assignment as an Annotated Bibliography. Be sure to address the following:
• Identify the 4 peer-reviewed research articles you reviewed, citing each in APA format.
• Include an introduction explaining the purpose of the paper.
• Summarize each study, explaining the improvement to outcomes, efficiencies, and lessons learned from the application of the clinical system each peer-reviewed article described. Be specific and provide examples.
• In your conclusion, synthesize the findings from the 4 peer-reviewed research articles.
• Use APA format and include a title page.
• Use the Safe Assign Drafts to check your match percentage before submitting your work.
Clinical systems, such as electronic health records (EHRs), computerized physician order entry (CPOE) systems, and telehealth technologies, have the potential to significantly impact outcomes and efficiencies within the context of nursing practice and healthcare delivery.
One way that clinical systems can improve outcomes is through increased accessibility and sharing of patient information. EHRs, for example, allow for the real-time sharing of patient information among healthcare providers, which can improve continuity of care and prevent medication errors and other adverse events. CPOE systems can also improve patient outcomes by reducing errors in medication ordering and dosing.
Clinical systems can also improve efficiencies within the healthcare system. EHRs, for example, can automate many administrative tasks, such as scheduling appointments and ordering lab tests, which can free up time for nurses and other healthcare providers to focus on patient care. Telehealth technologies, such as remote patient monitoring, can also increase efficiencies by allowing patients to receive care in their own homes rather than in a hospital or clinic.
However, it’s important to note that implementation of clinical systems is not without challenges. Some of the barriers to successful implementation include lack of standardization, resistance to change, and concerns about privacy and security. Therefore, it’s important for healthcare organizations to carefully plan and manage the implementation process to minimize these challenges and maximize the benefits of clinical systems.
Clinical systems have the potential to significantly improve outcomes and efficiencies within the context of nursing practice and healthcare delivery, but their successful implementation requires careful planning and management to overcome the potential challenges.