GSCI 1172: BODYWORKS
GSCI 1172: BODYWORKS
PROJECT PROPOSAL (5%) and PROJECT SUBMISSION (10%)
The purpose of this assignment is to provide students with an opportunity to:
• Research an area of personal interest related to their physical or mental health/ well being
• Analyze, evaluate, and apply relevant information from a variety of sources
• Interact with others in groups or teams
• Apply course concepts to promote personal health or wellbeing.
Students may complete this project individually, in partners, or in groups of three. If you decide to work in a group, all team members will receive the same mark.
Students choose an area of personal interest related to health and wellness and the structure and function of the human body. You may decide to research:
a) A disease or condition (e.g. Type I diabetes, G6PD deficiency, lactose intolerance, migraines)
b) A lifestyle practise that may affect “how the body works” (e.g. vaping, meditation, resistance training)
c) Injuries that pertain to your hobby or career (e.g. “Common Injuries sustained by Early Childcare workers”)
The project is completed in two parts, the proposal (due date October 13 at 11:59 p.m.) and the final project (due December 1 at 11:59). The final project includes sharing information with colleagues. We may use discussion boards, groups and/ or padlet.
The PROPOSAL consists of a brief (3/4 page – 1 page) outline that contains the following information:
• Topic Title (Can you Make it Interesting?)
• Why you are Interested in This Topic/ Why is it Important?/ Why might your classmates be interested?
• What is the MAJOR QUESTION you hope to explore/ answer?
• What are other (smaller) questions that be relevant? What definitions are required?
• Have you located any resources yet? (This is desirable) If so, what are they?
I’ve attached a template you can use if you wish. This may make it easy to make sure you haven’t missed anything.
The proposal will be marked on a five point scale. The FINAL SUBMISSION should be no longer than two pages – you’ll need to be concise! If you prefer to submit a video for your final submission, it should contain equivalent information.
Significant lack of understanding
Proposal should be redone.
1 Weak proposal/ lacks organization and analysis.
2 Acceptable proposal and questions. More elaboration desirable. Well written but lacks balance or Increased understanding of topic required to better frame questions.
Numerous spelling/ grammatical errors.
3 Very good proposal. Good understanding of issue is demonstrated.
Good questions asked and some analysis demonstrated.
One or two spelling/ grammatical error
4 – Proposal is comprehensive, interesting question (s) asked, evidence of advanced understanding/ analysis of issue. No spelling/ grammatical error.
TEMPLATE FOR PROPOSAL – GSCI 1172: BODYWORKS STUDENT NAME:
Topic Title (Can you Make it Interesting?)
Why you are Interested in This Topic/ Why is it Important?/ Why might your classmates be interested?
What is the MAJOR QUESTION you hope to explore/ answer?
What are other (smaller) questions that be relevant? What definitions are required?
What Resources Have you Found?
*DUE – THURSDAY OCTOBER 13 at 11:59 p.m.