Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Case Study
Review the case study below an answer the question that follow;
Rosa is a 55-year-old moderately obese Hispanic woman (body mass index is 29). She was referred to you when her gynecologist noted glucose on a routine urinalysis. She subsequently has an FPG of 190 and 200 mg/dL on two separate occasions. She is thirstier than usual and has more frequent urination. She also complains of decreased energy over the last several months and numbness and tingling in her left lower extremity. She then has FPG values of 190 and 200 mg/dL on two separate occasions. She is thirstier than usual and urinating more frequently. She also reports a decrease in energy over the last few months, as well as numbness and tingling in her left lower extremity.
• Sister, mother, and maternal grandmother have diabetes.
• Nonsmoker, drinks alcohol socially (one drink about three times a month), and does not exercise.
Review of systems:
• 20 lb weight gain over the past two years, has some blurred vision, has had two urinary tract infections in the past year, and has frequent vaginal yeast infections.
• Gestational diabetes in last two pregnancies.
• Unremarkable except blood pressure of 150/90
• Height: 5 feet 2 inches
• Weight: 200 lb
• Laboratory results: FPG 200 mg/dL, HbA1C 10%, LDL 160 mg/dL, HDL 35 mg/dL, total cholesterol 248 mg/dl and triglycerides 266 mg/dL
Diagnosis: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
1. List specific goals for the treatment for Rosa. (75 words)
2. What dietary and lifestyle changes would you recommend for Rosa? (100 words)
3. What drug therapy would you prescribe? Why? (50 words)
4. What is the goal for the FPG? Postprandial glucose? HbA1C? (100 words)
5. Discuss specific education for Rosa based on the prescribed therapy. (100 words)
6. List one or two adverse reactions for the therapy selected that would cause you to change the therapy (50 words)
7. If the HbA1C after three months on the prescribed therapy is 8.8%, what would be the next line of therapy? Provide rationale for your answer. (50 words)
8. What over-the-counter or herbal medicines might be appropriate for Rosa? (50 words)
9. Describe one or two drug–drug or drug–food interactions for the selected agent. (50 words)